Saturday, February 16, 2013

What does a recreational marathoner eat?

What does a recreational marathoner eat? Anything she wants ;-)

It is a good day when Lose It! tells me I can eat 3500 more calories after a twenty mile training run. 

Breakfast is oatmeal, peanut butter, blueberries and cinnamon. Lunch? sandwich. Cookies. Dark chocolate. 

Snacktime is where things get interesting. 

I joined Pinterest, spent about half hour on it, and high-tailed it out of there after I'd gotten the single most useful thing I'd ever seen in my life: a recipe for cookie dough truffles. I find the chocolate coating a bit fussy - with things the wrong temperature, the insides leak out. But that's not the only problem. The coating process simply takes too long.

Four of my other collected favorite words in English are "sheet cake and forks," so it should not surprise anyone to hear me rant about "cookie dough and spoon." I found another recipe that works just as well with half the butter, but I tend to add baking soda and salt to get the taste right. Also, don't use dark brown sugar. Trust me.

 Another really useful piece of advice I saw a while back is that chocolate milk, or hot chocolate, makes a really good recovery drink. 

When I'm running, I don't do many of the fancy running substances (I'm recreational, after all, and though they won't be testing me after the race, I don't need to go all performance-enhancement on anyone!) Probably because it is dessert-like, I use Gu Energy packets. Peanut Butter! Chocolate!! Jet Blackberry! Caffeine!! And, despite a life-long aversion to jelled candy, my new sister-in-law turned me on to Clif ShotBloks, also sweet, sometimes caffeinated, and much less messy than the Gus.

But back to the hot chocolate. When I buy out, I am partial to L.A. Burdick. They know their chocolate beverages, hot and cold. Big time.

However, I am lucky enough to live within biking distance of the Taza factory, and was lucky enough to score a Cocomotion hot chocolate maker off Freecycle awhile back. Want to make sure I keep my strength up? I'm partial to Cacao Puro!
Cacao Puro Chocolate Mexicano
So what does an old, slow, sweet-toothed recreational marathoner eat? Whatever looks good!

No comments:

Post a Comment